Barmby on the Marsh
Probably "farmstead of the children, i.e. one held jointly by a number of heirs" from Old Scandinavian barn + by; alternatively "farmstead of a man called Barni or Bjarni" from Old Scandinavian personal name + by. Affix is Old English mersc "marsh"
A Dictionary of English Place-Names, Oxford University Press
Its red houses are in green fields near the meeting of the Derwent and the Ouse, with Drax and Hemingborough less than two miles away. If we come from Drax the ferry carries us over the Ouse, but from Hemingborough we must travel nine miles because of the marshes, the road doubling back near Howden. The odd-looking church has an old nave with most of its windows new, a modern chancel, and a brick tower with a lead cupola. The chest is one of the oddest we have seen, its cavity at one end of a log, secured with iron bands, three locks and a draw-bar
The King's England, edited by Arthur Mee
Barmby-on-the-Marsh (previously Barnebic and Barmby-on-Derwent) consists of picturesque cottages and tall fronted houses and lies at the point where the River Derwent flows into the Ouse. In 1975, a huge concrete tidal barrage was built as a flood relief measure and to provide drinking water for the public. A sluice stops the polluted waters of the Ouse from contaminating the Derwent and a lock allows pleasure craft to pass through. Before the barage was built, the marshlands often flooded in winter allowing for lots of ice-skating.
The area around the barrage has been converted to a wildlife reserve and a country park. It is also now part of the Selby to Hull cycle route. The Hull to Barnsley railway went through the village from 1896, and crossed the river at nearby Ouse Bridge. Now only the bridge supports on both banks and the brick house used by the controller remain.
Its ancient church, St. Helen's, was originally a barn with a brick eastern tower added later. In the churchyard is a spring, St. Helen's Well, rich in iron. Also nearby is St. Peter's Well which is rich in sulphur. Both protected the population from cholera outbreak in 1854.
Barmby was once a river port with a sail cloth and rope-making industry using the locally grown flax. It even had salmon fishing. The river was busy with grain and other crops taken to market and mills and coal coming on the return journey. The village once had a three day horse racing festival and Barmby Feast was held annually. Things are now quieter. The population in the 18th Century was round 500, but today it is around 300.