Back to Table of Contents

The Docks

Goole Docks from a distance

Goole is one of the few places in the country where the public can access the docks. Carry on along Aire Street and you end up on a public footpath which meanders across through the docks, across a bridge and lock and out eventually to Bridge Street.

This is the best place to view dock activity, though watch out for reversing fork lifts.

Goole Docks from the river

The docks and locks within the port are as follows

  • Barge Dock, 1826 - one of the original docks when the port was opened. Ocean Lock now connects this dock to the river.
  • Harbour Dock (The Basin), 1826 - another of the original docks. This was filled in during the 1960s.
  • Ship Dock, 1826 - another of the original docks.
  • Ouse Dock, 1836 - contained Hoists No. 1 and 2. It also had a dry dock. Previously this dock was called the "Steam Boat Dock" and the "Steam Ship Dock".
  • Railway Dock, 1848 - contained the Tannett Walker and Ormerod Grierson railway coal hoists and a 50-ton electric crane. This dock was built so that the A&C had more control over railway operations when the L&YR reached the town.
  • Aldham Dock, 1881 - the link between Railway Dock and Ouse Dock was built in 1913 to ease overcrowding.
  • Stanhope Dock, 1891 - originally called the "New Extension Dock." Contained an Armstrong Whitworth railway coal hoist and a 50-ton hydraulic crane. This crane was used for heavy loads and coaling, lifting railway coal-wagons, swinging them over a ship's hold and then tipping their contents before returning the wagon to the rails.
  • South Dock, 1910 - contained Hoists No. 4 and 5. It also had a dry dock and connected to the canal. This dock was in effect a widening of the canal to the west of Barge Dock to reduce the amount of traffic affecting other shipping operations.
  • West Dock, 1912 - this is now the only rail served dock.

  • Ship Lock, 1826 - one of the original locks when the port was opened. This was filled in during the 1960s.
  • Barge Lock, 1826 - another of the original locks. This was filled in during the 1960s.
  • Ouse Lock, 1838 - built to connect the Ouse Dock to the river.
  • Victoria Lock, 1888 - this lock was built to cope with the larger vessels using the port.
  • Ocean Lock, 1938 - the largest lock in the docks. The lock gates were recently replaced and constructed several metres higher, to cope with anticipated rises in the sea-level.

Print of Goole Docks - 1826


Visitor Comments

Posted by Barrie on 02/02/2006

Can anyone remember where the shipping federation office was? I was a sailor in the 1960s? Thanks.

Posted by Peter on 08/03/2006

The shipping office was in Stanhope Street, about halfway down on the right hand side going towards Bridge Street, where one signed articles on joining the ship. The shipping federation (pool office) was where you went to get a job in East Parade off North Street, near the Peacock pub. Mr Houghton and Mr Smith were in charge of the shipping office during the 1950s.

Posted by Hamish on 04/05/2007

Do you remember the two guys in the pool office? One older and very business-like, quite severe really; and the other a heavy young guy, who was the older man's "Gofor". I remember waiting until the old guy went out to lunch before going in to find out about a ship as at least you could "bargain" with the young guy. The old guy would stand no guff, he was the one who gave me the IVYBANK, said it was a short trip to the States - I didn't see Goole again for two years, after about sixteen trips on the phosphate run from Nauru and Ocean Island to Oz and NZ.

Posted by Pedro on 04/05/2007

The shipping federation was run by Mr Shay; he conned many seamen into boarding some old tub. I don't know if he earned his sleeve rings thought. The fat guy was Smith, never earned his stripes, nearest they got to a ship was looking through the window to Victoria Lock. Jock McCauley was the seamen's union rep next door. Then into the Peacock Hotel at the end East Parade for a pint. Jock at least was an old salt. Sadly all crossed the bar now. One Xmas Jock had his bagpipes playing in the Royal Hotel, Aire Street; he had the chanter under the table while I was inflating the bag under my arm. Alec Grant still this day thinks I play the pipes!

Posted by Hamish on 05/05/2007

I remember old "Jock" as a person to avoid as he was always after money to get the book stamped, and if the book was not up to date you had to talk real sweet to him or you could not join the next ship, times were tough!

Posted by Pedro on 07/01/2013

Mr Shay of the shipping federation in East Parade sent me to join the MACCLESFIELD in Hull at the Riverside Quay. Got my rail pass, signed on in Postern Gate, then sailed back to bleeding Goole. Three days later was in Rotterdam - old Shay had a bit of a sadistic streak.

Posted by Hamish on 07/01/2013

Old Shay was a bit of a wag. He sent me to North Shields to join the Ivybank, told me it was a load in the continent and sail for New York, be away about two months and home for Christmas - never saw the sky over Blighty for nineteen months. I was a little green in those days and had never heard of bank boats, but I did get even in later years; my wife got very ill, and I quit the sea for a trainee job down the pits; well he sent the cops after me to do my National Service, but they could not touch me as mining was also exempt. I lasted about a year down Water Haig colliery then took a jump job on the AIRE, and never went near the pool office again.

Posted by Gary on 12/01/2013

That nice Mr Shay was in charge of the pool (East Parade, Goole) when I finished my TS VINDICATRIX training in 1957. My first ship was the BRITISH BULLDOG, (BP tanker out of the Isle of Grain) from the Tilbury pool.

30 days at sea around the Cape of Good Hope and up the East Coast of Africa, to Mena al Ahmade (Kuwait); 12 hours of loading crude and another 30 days back again. The Suez Canal was still closed to shipping due to that nice man Mr Nasser at the time. That nice Mr Shay gave me s**t when I reported back to the pool. He said we can't be paying off ships just because we didn't like them, or the run. No need for me to elaborate.

PS Smithy was OK!

Posted by Pedro on 24/03/2006

The decline of the shipyard coincided will the decline of shipping using the port. Most of the shipyard labour, ie. welders, platers, plumbers, etc. moved on to the local power stations which were under construction at the time. Also many ex-seaman were employed in this same industry as riggers.

Sadly our shipyards could not compete with foreign work practices. Goole Shipyard siren would sound at 12 noon until 1pm, thus the whole factory shut down for lunch. Whereas, as I witnessed in Japan, if one tradesman went for a coffee break, even for ten minutes, another guy picked up his tools the job - never stopped. I once travelled home from Japan and during conversing with my fellow passenger on the plane found out he was the owner of the Rochester Shipping Co. who at one time had ships built at Goole. He had just taken delivery of a new vessel, Japanese built; from ordering it to completing sea trials - 18 months. He said he would have preferred it to be British built but sadly the UK couldn't compete.

Posted by Shuffleton Streets on 27/03/2006

How many know anything about the Volscian(?) Shipping Co. run by Captain Charles Dow Moore following WWI, I think, at Hook. Capt. CDM and his Trinity House Brother Capt. George King Moore were early residents of Marshfield and Capt. GKM and his wife and children moved there from Richard Cooper Street about 1891. Thanks.

Posted by George on 27/03/2006

I have never found a Volscian Shipping Company but there was one ship called CHASMOOR registered at Goole and owned between 1922 and 1931 by Moore S.S. Co. (manager Herbert D. Moore) with an address in East Parade. She was an ex Dutch steam coaster, built in 1917. I wonder if this was the same Moore family?

Posted by Shuffleton Streets on 29/03/2006

Yes, H.D. Moore was son of Captain CDM - a Goole dentist I believe.

Posted by David on 05/04/2006

My maternal grandfather Joseph Lea was master of the Chasmoor at one time. My grandmother, Mary Jane Lea, gave me to understand that two business men, possibly three, owned the vessel and approached my grandfather ref his being the skipper together with a financial interest. My grandfather stayed some time, my grandmother going on various trips. I think he went from the Chasmoor to the LOWLAND where he stayed as captain until the outbreak of war. One thing rings bells with me, is I think that two men were involved. The first name of one was Charles, the surname of the second was Moore, from which the name Chasmoor was derived.

Posted by John on 29/03/2006

Could anyone settle an argument? My brother worked all his (working) life at Goole Shipyard. He says Goole dry docks were not long enough to take the railway (Lanky) boats. Yet I'm positive that in the 1950s I saw the HEBBLE or BLYTH in the dry dock adjacent to Ouse Lock

Posted by Pedro on 29/03/2006

Someone may have photographic proof, but I think you're correct.

Posted by George on 30/03/2006

Yes, the Lankies would certainly be able to dry dock at Goole, definitely in No. 2 (off South Dock) but you might well be right about No. 1 (Ouse Dock) as well. Blyth/Hebble were 240.5ft long, drydock 252.9ft and enough width for them at the entrance. But from my brief time at Goole I recall the problem at No. 1 was the high sill level at the entrance so even small coasters had to watch their trim to keep the maximum draft down. Just looked at some old data and it looks like about 11.5ft on the sill with normal dock water level… so I don't know if the Lankies could be got below that draft to get in.

Posted by Peter on 30/03/2006

Yes, repairs were carried out in the dry docks at Goole to the Lankys; mostly small jobs though as Goole was very busy ship building, etc. The company wanted them back in service ASAP. So Immingham usually got most of the work (probably financial reasons also); but Goole did indeed get some of the annual survey work - you won your bet.

Posted by Mick on 05/04/2006

I was down on Goole Docks taking some photos earlier today and I could swear that part of the Aldam Dock has now been filled in (alongside Lowther Street). Am I correct in my thinking? It is now used as a container storage area and was previously occupied by a large coil hoist and was the berth that the dredger GOOLE BIGHT used to use along with some other small craft. Today the ODIN was at berth on there.

Posted by George on 07/04/2006

Aldam was altered back in mid-1990s I think, used to be wider and had a "T" shaped head similar to Stanhope Dock. The hoist was scrapped and that side part-filled to make room for the bigger PAL Line ships.

Posted by Mike on 08/06/2006

I seem to recall that many years ago there was a passenger service from Goole to the continent, most likely operated by one of the railway company's ships - was this the case or have I imagined it!

Posted by Robert on 15/06/2006

LMS Railway Co (Later AHL) 1935

"All steamers have accommodation for a limited number of passengers

Destination - Depart Goole - Depart Continent
Copenhagen - Friday - Thursday
Hamburg - Wednesday & Saturday - Monday and Friday
Amsterdam - Wednesday - Saturday
Rotterdam - Saturday - Tuesday
Ghent - Saturday - Wednesday
Antwerp - Wednesday & Saturday - Tuesday & Saturday"

Posted by David on 04/08/2006

As a boy my grandfather trailed me all round the docks every Sunday afternoon to see what ships were in. I remember some were in a bit of a state, this was wartime of course.

One thing that has always intrigued me was the brick built office by the Lowther Bridge. Before going onto the army, my grandfather and I always stopped off so he could enjoy a lemonade. There were men in there in uniform. It was only later in life that I have begun to wonder who they were.

Posted by Pedro on 06/08/2006

I remember the pilot's lobby on the dock wall at Lowther Bridge. As kids, if we were enquiring about arrivals of a certain ship, this is where we would head for. Inside was RT Radio, we could hear the ETA at Goole.

Posted by David on 20/08/2006

Thanks for the info about the pilot's office. I thought it was customs but on reflection it makes sense as my grandfather Joseph Lea went as a pilot after he left the LOWLAND in 1939.

Another recall is of a large warehouse which to a small boy took on the appearance of a cathedral. This was just over the Lowther Bridge, had a railway line or lines running through it and was burned down during the war. Arson or sabotage was suspected but not confirmed.

Posted by Pedro on 20/08/2006

Yes, right-hand side over the bridge. It was the bonded warehouse. Stacked with spirits (whisky, rum, etc.) but I believe it was incendiary bombs during the war that caused its demise.

Posted by Angela on 05/10/2006

I am trying to trace information on Edwin Ernest Atkinson who co-owned Atkinson & Prickett Shipping Company. This company commenced about 1906 in Goole with offices at Hull. I am doing family research into my ancestors and would love to hear from anybody who has any knowledge on this family. Thanks.

Posted by Robert on 05/10/2006

Mary Anna Atkinson, daughter of Thomas and Jane and therefore I think Edwin's sister, was the second wife of my great-grandfather, Tom Dunham.

Posted by George on 09/10/2006

Atkinson & Prickett still exists and is mainly a ships agent for tankers on the Humber, they are at Crowle House, 41 High Street, Hull. For many years they have been part of T.E. Kettlewell & Sons who are also active in Hull and at Goole. There are several generations of the Kettlewell family still involved but I have never known an Atkinson during my time in the ports business. They were also Goole shipowners of course for many years.

Posted by Angela on 12/10/2006

I have a copy photograph of Mr Atkinson and Mr Prickett, the original of which I borrowed from Mr Kettlewell in 2005. Mr Atkinson would appear to have died prior to World War II, the business eventually being taken over by the Kettlewell family.

Posted by Robert on 26/04/2007

The East Riding Image Archive has a photograph of one of the owners of Atkinson and Prickett, Edwin Atkinson, as a boy with his parents Thomas and Jane Atkinson, and siblings. Edwin is the elder of the two boys. He died in 1938. The younger boy, Thomas, became a minister. Their sister Sarah Jane became a teacher at Alexandra Street School and later married a Duckels. Her son Shirley (sic) Duckels drowned as first mate on the Stranraer car ferry, which foundered off County Down in the terrible storm of February 1953. The other sister, Mary Anna Atkinson, was a well-known Goole Methodist, and became the second wife of my great-grandfather Tom Dunham at the age of 49.

Posted by Pedro on 03/11/2006

I remember as a child a rotting hulk, half submerged, at the north end of Victoria Pier. It was always referred to as dickeys keel

Posted by David on 23/11/2011

The remnants of the wreck at the end of Victoria Pier ended up on the Richard Cooper Street lads' bonfire.

Posted by Elaine on 10/11/2006

My great-uncle, Frank Tuxworth, was a policeman in Goole, pre-World War II. I believe he drowned in Goole docks but do not know why and my mother was not told - has anyone heard of this incident please?

Posted by Jeni on 20/05/2009

The late Frank Tuxworth was married to my Aunt in I think 1918. His death was in 1947. Please reply as I may have information.

Posted by Robert on 25/11/2014

If you search the British Newspaper archive for Goole and Tuxworth you'll find articles in the Hull Daily Mail on 27 June and 1 July 1947. Cycle found on riverbank at Boothferry, body recovered from river at Asselby Island.

Posted by Brendon on 29/11/2006

One of my forebears, Thomas Kean, visited Goole around the year 1833. He was about fourteen years old and in a schooner from Leith which presumably was calling for coal. One night he was left to mind the vessel's long boat while the ship's master visited ashore. After some time alone in the boat and with the tide ebbing on the rocks outside the lock, he realised it was going aground on the rock ledge and he set off to warn the captain. As he walked along the lock in the dark of the winter's night he missed his footing and fell into the water inside the lock gates. Fortunately, he could swim (otherwise I wouldn't be here!) but he could not reach the top of the stone wall and his cries for help were not heard until he was hypothermic and barely afloat. Eventually some men arrived with lanterns and were able to reach his hand. They carried him to the public house and poured brandy down his throat to revive him. The captain eventually found him there, took him down to the boat, which they managed to float off, and pulled out to the schooner. Kean, "between the severe struggle in the water and the brandy was more one dead than alive and was glad to get off my wet dunnage and get into my hammock."

Unluckily for him, around midnight the schooner started dragging with the flood tide in the stream. When several times he was called to assist by the mate he could not get out of his hammock and as a result the mate came below and tipped him out of his hammock onto the forecastle deck where he stayed, unable to move until the next morning when he found the vessel had been brought up with some trouble.

This is one of numerous stories related by Kean in a memoir dictated to his children in 1892. I am presently editing the manuscript with a view to eventually publishing it. In later life Kean continued as a seaman before becoming active in local life here in Portland, Victoria, Australia. He was variously employed in the customs service, became a master lighterman with his own vessels and was later a ships chandler.

Thanks again for this entertaining site.

Posted by John on 15/03/2007

Can anyone throw any light on what I believe was a unique crane on Goole Docks? It was located near Stanhope Street and visible from what was then the back door of the old Marks and Spencer's shop. Apparently it used a chain over two pulleys and it operated by the chain being pushed out of line with the pulleys using a hydraulic cylinder. I didn't study it while it was there and it's now long gone or so I am informed.

My memory is hazy but I think our teacher ("Ted" Hutchinson) told us about it whilst I was still at school quite a while ago. Thanks

Posted by George on 23/03/2007

The crane next to Stanhope Street which you mention would be the old fixed-jib hydraulic crane which was there for most of the 1900s.

Posted by Hamish on 02/05/2007

I quit in 1957, and came to Canada's west coast. My first trip back was in 1960 and I picked up our buddy Peter Olley in Leeds, (I lived in Leeds while at sea also) and took a trip to Goole for the day, market day when the pubs stayed open nearly all day. Shaking the memory tree again, do you remember a customs officer that was known by the affectionate name of "Himmler"?

Posted by Pedro on 02/05/2007

Market day was Wednesday when the pub opened 11am until 5pm then closed for an hour before reopening. That is unless the landlord was in a good mood for a lock in (certainly not Charlie at the Tavern). Jawohl, I remember Herr Himmler well, some bad and good memories, he's still around enjoying retirement (wouldn't be fair to mention his real name).

Fond memories of the George pub. Once lent a guy 10/-, he was on leave from the army. I departed next day deep sea. Returned to Goole two years later. Walked into the pub. The landlady got a wineglass down from behind the bar covered in dust. Handed me a 10/- note saying this was left for you about 18 months ago. Happy days.

Posted by Hamish on 03/05/2007

Wednesday, that is correct now I come to think about it, as one of the Railway boats I was on sailed on Wednesdays, every second week (must have been the DON) and most of us had one hell of a job making it if it was a late tide time! Yes, Hughie at "Melodies" would lock you in, and I agree it depended on how old Charlie's arthritis was acting up whether he would speak to you or not. Funny, someone told me Herr Himmler had been fired, but must have been wrong, said he had run afoul of the law, smuggling of all things.

Posted by Pedro on 03/05/2007

Himmler was kommandant of rummage squad; believe his kommander-in-chief Mr Whitefield awarded him with a senior service (remember fags) iron cross. He certainly retired honourably. I guess we all were to blame for his nickname as the war only ended some five years previously and I gave him a pair of leather jack boots. I remember these items were prolific in Hamburg in the 1950s, even the lanky boats skippers and mates wore the leather trench coats.

Charlie (Tavern) suffered with gout, he lived next door to me. After his retirement sadly went blind in the 1980s before his demise. On a happier note, his wife little Mary is still going strong at the grand old age of 95 years; saw her today with her shopping trolley on the town service bus. I helped her aboard - we often reminisce about the good old days. Keep smiling - we Goolies do!

If my memory serves me right the rummager caught playing naughty was one of the Hull squad. Maybe the one whose favourite trick was to shove a wire rod down the sink drain then wipe it on cotton waste before sticking it in the marmalade tin on the messroom table. Yuk.

Posted by Iain on 05/12/2007

As a young customs officer, I was posted to Goole in 1958. I had never heard of the town, but I took to the place immediately. My landlord was "Trunky" May in Marshfield Avenue, an ex-chief steward. He and his wife did me proud. As I walked into the dock to report on my first day, I met the rummage crew who immediately diverted me to the Lowther. It was a foretaste of what was to come. Some of my colleagues were Frank (Tug) Wilson, Charles Kilvington, Stan Coates, Ken Ryle, Harry Lober. I had the pleasure of meeting Jock the seaman's union man referred to above. Does anyone remember any of the above mentioned Customs officers? Any news would be most welcome. Thanks.

Posted by Paul on 09/12/2007

I think most of customs officers of those days have passed away, and for a customs officer none better than Stan Coates. You don't mention John Baverstock, John Kaye or Himmler (even you will know who Himmler was). Many happy memories of meeting most of them while boarding ships as water clerk (although there were some hard cases).

Posted by Iain on 10/12/2007

I was in Goole 1957-58. I remember Stan well, and also John Baverstock. Needless to say I also remember Himmler. He had a deep scar on his forehead and wore gold rimmed glasses. His uniform cap was worn U-boat commander style and tilted over one eye. He reckoned (correctly) that his appearance was pretty impressive, and he once said to me, "Do I look fierce, Iain?" I thought I'd better hedge my bets and replied "Quite fierce." Really he was a bit of a pussy cat. We had dealings mainly with chief stewards, and I remember Sid on the Hebble, and Geoff and Freddy Cline on the Abbey boats. All gentlemen.

I was in my early 20s in those days and over the next 40 years or so I worked all over Britain from Dover in the south to Lerwick in the north, most of it in plain clothes service, latterly in VAT in Glasgow, but I will always have the fondest memories of Goole and its friendly people.

Posted by Hamish on 11/12/2007

You forgot to mention Himmler's long leather overcoat (supplied by Pedro) and his jack boots. He liked to hide in the dock yard sheds long after the ships had docked then jump out from behind a pile of cargo to accost us poor unsuspecting sailors going ashore, but we soon got onto his ploy, and would send one of the young lads ashore "clean" and when accosted by Himmler would take off at a mad gallop away from the exit. When we knew the chase was on, we would scarper ashore with the loot. That was in the early 1950s when I sailed on the Lanky boats.

Posted by Pedro on 11/12/2007

My supply of the leathers did pay off as some time later, disembarking from the Macclesfield at Hull's Riverside Quay, he caught me red handed 23rd Dec; after a slap on the wrist and wishing me a Merry Xmas, sent me on my way. Actually he was a nice chap.

Posted by Hamish on 12/12/2007

That was a bonus, and I must admit he never did me any harm. I know there were many more excise men on the squad, but his was the name used when we made a good haul, getting it past "Himmler" so to speak. None of us were making millions, just trying to make up our "Lanky Boat" pittance to a living wage. If I recall right, a bottle of duty free rum was 7/6 and could be sold ashore for 25 bob with the seal intact. You only got one inbound, the outbound bottle didn't seem to survive to become an inbound bottle. Those were the days!

Posted by Daniel on 04/05/2007

I have heard that Goole docks in extreme situations can be drained. Is this true? If so how much of the dock can be drained and how is it done? I have never seen a dock control room, just several small ABP offices.

Posted by Pedro on 17/05/2007

Wow it would be some extreme situation to drain Goole docks, locks maybe. All the docks are interlinked I guess the first thing one would have to do would ensure canal lock gates are closed. What a sight to behold! Hopefully no ships would be in port.

Posted by Stuart (Webmaster) on 18/05/2007

The book "Railway on the Water" by Harold Crabtree mentions that in extreme situations the water level in the docks could be lowered to recover sunken Tom Pudding compartments

"On one occasion the water level in the docks was lowered to recover sunken compartments, but this could be done only when it would not interfere with shipping." - Page 96

Posted by Pedro on 21/05/2007

I'm too intrigued now how it would be done. I personally have witnessed many salvage ops including Tom Puddings but the only ones I saw were with BTC (or was is Aire Calder Navigation) divers, the same ones used for problems with the lock gates.

Posted by Debbie on 18/06/2007

Does anyone know of a bridge in the docks being called "William Pickard's" Bridge? He was the second husband of my great-aunt, Emma Anne Pickard, formerly Holmes, nee Halifax and they ran a fish and chip shop in George Street. Rumour has it that for some reason this bridge adopted his name. Thanks

Posted by Pedro on 21/06/2007

Pickard's bridge was a footbridge across the docks one would cross from Old Goole to Goole (or vice versa) and over the Lowther Bridge into Aire Street. Next to what was called the buzzer house. I feel it was most likely named Pickard's because of the short cut to the chippy from the dock to George Street rather than historic reasons. For example we have a Mad Dog Lane and a Cattle Arch among other locally named places.

Posted by Tony on 09/09/2007

Does anyone please have any more information about my grandparents to help me with my family history research? My great-great-grandfather George Jackson was born in Mirfield, West Yorkshire in 1812, and married Ann (Nancy) Richardson. His children were Allan, Hannah, Alfred, George, Mary, John and Sam. His father was a Samuel Jackson, but not sure which one.

George came to Goole about 1840 to represent the firm of Jackson and Sons, to whom I think he was related, who were canal carriers and salt merchants. They also owned tugs, and were one of the first tug owners running out of Goole. Later, when they relinquished the tug branch, George, along with a Mr Pilling of Manchester, bought the boats and formed what was to become The Goole and Hull Steam Towing Company Limited. Mr Pilling became the Chairman and George was on the board of directors. I have lists of some of the company's boats. There was a tug named the GEORGE JACKSON and an SS KNOWLE GROVE, which is the name of a street in Mirfield.

George was also a director of The Goole Ropery and Ship Chandlery Company Limited. He died June 1888 aged 77. Another great-great-grandfather was Abraham Sutcliff, who came to Goole from Leeds in the 1840s to open a brickyard for the Aire & Calder Navigation. He married Sarah Ann and his children were John, Tom and Joseph. Later he kept the Sydney Tap in George Street and a few years later became the licensee of the Crown Inn in Ouse Street. His son, my great-grandfather, was John Sutcliff who died in 1927 aged 80. He was Goole's oldest licensee, having been at the Crown, Ouse Street for 27 years up to his death. He was a sailmaker by occupation and served his apprenticeship to the sea on the BABTHORPE, a Goole vessel trading in the Mediterranean and South America. He took over the Crown when his Father died.

For 50 years he was an ardent member of the Oddfellows, and during that period held every office. He married Annie Elizabeth. His children were Francis Edward, John, Maria, Abraham and Adelaide. If there is anyone who has any more information, about anything, I would be very happy to hear from them. Thanks.

Posted by George on 10/09/2007

Tony, interested to see your story of the founders of the Goole & Hull Steam Towing Co. I have what I believe to be a full fleet list plus photos of many vessels from local sources. As far as the early vessels pre-GHST are concerned, I have three on file, all seem to be named from your family.

ALICE JACKSON: built 1855, 481grt by Richardson, Duck & Co. at Thornaby on Tees. Too big for a tug so probably a steam coaster. Owners Jackson & Co.; UNCLE SAM: paddle tug, built 1861 at South Shields, owned by Jackson & Pilling, from Goole to Hull registered in April 1890 presumably on sale; GEORGE JACKSON: paddle tug, 1866 at South Shields, owned by James Pilling, to North Shields as EXPERT in 12/1874.

Posted by Corby on 21/11/2007

Alfred Jackson (b. 1845) married Martha Cook (b. 1852) in 1875. Their children were George, Ada, Emily, Edith, Alfred and Edwin. Martha being one of eighteen children born to John Singleton Cook and Martha, my great-great-grandparents. Another child was Charles who was on the ROSA of Goole 1881 Ships in Port 3. He took the job from his father who previously held that position. Another link we may have is that my grand-aunt Eliza Charlotte Bunting (b. 1853) married a John Sutcliff (b. 1846) seaman.

Posted by Alum on 25/09/2007

I'm interested at finding out about the Alum Works in the 1881 census. My great-great-grandfather is said to be the fireman there whilst he lived in Doyle Street. Thanks.

Posted by WB on 12/11/2007

The Alum Works was located on the south side of Albert Street off Bridge Street. I believe it had to close because the lease for the land expired. I believe the works had the highest chimney in Goole which I saw felled in about 1950. The thickness of the brickwork around the flue near ground level at the base was nine bricks end to end. The works employed at least one cooper making wooden barrels for the produce when they were in production.

About 1940 they had two steam powered lorries, I think they were Sentinals, with a coal or coke burning vertical boiler inside the very primitive cab for the driver. The chimney for the boiler went through the cab roof, the engine was slung under the flat back of the lorry with the drive to the back axle by an exposed chain drive. I suspect the lorries may have run from Goole to Scunthorpe at times.

Posted by Robert on 14/11/2007

I found a Goole Times press cutting amongst my dad's papers showing a photograph of the chimney falling on Thursday, 5 June 1952. I remember him taking me to see it. The small crowd had to be very patient because there was quite a wait. In fact we gave up and went home for our dinner, but heard the bang of the explosion just as we got home. One of my earliest memories.

Posted by Roy on 26/03/2009

My father was born in Goole and his father George Henry is shown in the census as working as a cooper at Alum Works. He married Amy Bradley, assistant harbour master's daughter.

Posted by Barrie on 08/10/2009

I believe the Alum Works closed around 1953 and I just remember the big chimney being demolished. It was located next to the docks and near to the water tower. I believe that they made powdered alum and rock alum. It was handy to know someone who worked there as he could supply you with a drop of either powdered alum or the rock alum. The powdered alum was used to treat mouth ulcers by rubbing it into the affected area and the rock alum was used to stop the bleeding if you had the misfortune to cut yourself when shaving. I believe that both these items are still available in the shops under trade names but are basically just alum.

Posted by Rod on 14/10/2009

Barrie, I was recently doing the Coast to Coast walk and, at a B&B, the owner was very interested in the history of the mining of alum in the North Yorkshire area. He had found that a man in Goole, in the 1950s, had developed a new and cheaper system of processing the alum which led to the demise of the industry in North Yorkshire. It triggered my memory of the "Alum Works" so glad to get your info. That shows that at least my long term memory is still OK. Best wishes to you.

Posted by Corby on 06/11/2007

I have been trying for some time now to find out the ships built by John Banks of Howden. I now believe he was merely the owner of the yard and all credit must go to the shipbuilder William Caisley. Can you tell me? Are there any books or information I could follow up regarding the other vessels and masters? I think W. Caisley was building ships long after the demise of the Banks family.

Posted by George on 09/11/2007

Vessels built by Caisley extracted from various sources (mainly Lloyds Register 1905) Name, type, year, tonnage I have some later career details on a few of them.

POLYHYMNIA Ketch 1881 72; ELITE Schooner 1883 118; PROSPERINE Ketch 1884 86; THALIA Ketch 1884 79; PARTHENOPE Ketch 1885 90; METIS Ketch 1886 90; EGERIA Ketch 1887 92; IRIS Ketch 1887 92; MAUDE MARY Ketch 1889 77; GEORGE KILNER Brigantine 1891 124; GOLDEN WEDDING Brigantine 1897 216; HYDRO Sloop 1897 60; BEATRICE Dry Cargo 1901 128

And the following built by Banks or Banks Jnr. at Howdendyke so perhaps the same yard taken over by Caisley as all these pre-date the Casiley vessels.

FULLERTON Brigantine 1854 172; SALTMARSHE Schooner 1854 70; BRACKENHOLME Brigantine 1857 115; ISABELLA PRATT Schooner 1859 59; JAMES PRATT Schooner 1860 117; BABTHORPE Sail 1861 192; SARAH & JANE Schooner 1863 96; SWALLOW Schooner 1864 116; JANE & MARY Sloop 1865 37; HOWDEN Schooner 1866 120; WILLIAM CASS Schooner 1866 104; JOHN & JAMES Schooner 1867 71; CAMBRIA Ketch 1869 53; BRACKENHOLME Sail 1869 116; UNITY Schooner 1870 179; SUPERB Ketch 1871 159; MERLIN Brigantine 1874 252; SPARKLING GLANCE Sail 1899 166; GUIDING STAR Sail 1875 107; SPARKLING GLANCE Schooner 1878 142

Posted by Corby on 09/11/2007

George, I am very grateful for your hard work in locating this data for me. I appreciate the time involved. Thank you very much

Posted by Jackie on 25/04/2008

Cain Squire one of my ancestors died when a crane fell on him at Goole Docks in 1855. He was a mate on the ANN of Dewsbury.

Posted by Christine on 08/05/2008

Does anyone remember a visit to Goole by the Royal Navy in 1953? It was to celebrate the Coronation and I am pretty sure that one of the ships was a submarine. Would like to know what the other ship/ships were. Thanks.

Posted by Pedro on 09/05/2008

I remember HMS TRESSPASSER T Class submarine in Goole Docks; can't exactly remember dates but next time I saw her was in the Indian Ocean and that was definitely 1954 after her visit. I seem to recall other RN ships visiting and believe photos can be found in the library museum at Goole.

Posted by George on 18/05/2008

HMS Trespasser, yes she did visit but a bit earlier than you mention, a fine photo of her in Ocean Lock on 16 July 1949 is in the archives at the Waterways Museum.

Posted by Bekkie on 26/06/2010

My mum said that she remembered a submarine being in the docks… in the 1950s. Sadly she has passed away and I remember her telling me when I was little when we were on holidays at grans who used to live on Humber Street. (I still remember the sound of the building in progress of the last ship! Happy days!

Posted by Denise on 02/12/2010

I remember the submarine coming into Goole Docks. I suppose it would be in the late-1950s. My big sister took me to look round it and I can vividly remember her making me walk up some narrow, steep steps inside and insisting that I went up first because she had a skirt on and didn't want any sailors looking up it!

Posted by Eddie on 23/09/2012

The submarines that visited Goole in the 1950s were of the T-class. One was called TAPIRE, the other I cannot remember. I started on the docks in 1955 as a messenger lad and always carried a small camera with me, but about 3,000 negatives were destroyed in later years. I think I may still have a photo of the sub somewhere.

Posted by Malcolm on 26/10/2014

I remember this submarine visiting Goole in the 1950s. It was docked by the Lowther Bridge. Friends and myself were there on its first day and I was chosen by a Goole Times photographer to have my picture taken on board. I do remember seeing the picture in the paper, wish I had the picture now.

Posted by Ken on 12/08/2014

Does anyone remember the visit of an HM Frigate, the name I cannot think of. I remember the captain being a little miffed when the AB using the heaving line missed first time and the tide took a bit of a hold. If my memory serves me, the captain was the same one that took the HMS Amethyst from the bank of the Yangtse River and out to sea, I think his name is Kearns.

Posted by Christine on 14/08/2014

You are certainly correct about the frigate that visited Goole being captained by an officer called Kearns - one of the serving junior officers was my second-cousin Donald Vincent. He tells quite a story about incidents on the ship and about the incident with the Amythyst. Donald took my dad, Capt. Alex Townsley, to view the ship when it was on its visit; it might have been the Coronation year.

I've just checked my family tree and the commander of the Amethyst when he escaped was J. S Kerans. He had been the naval attachee and took over when the captain died of wounds.

Posted by George on 11/05/2008

My wife's grandfather (Peter Leddy) was harbour master at Goole up to 1915. Can anyone give information about him, or indicate where information can be found? Thanks.

Posted by Helen on 12/06/2008

Can anyone tell me where Germany Dock is? My great(x3)-uncle drowned in Germany Dock but I can't find where it is. Thanks.

Posted by Alan on 12/11/2008

I have a 1905 map that shows "Old Hamburg Shed" just to the right of Lowther Bridge from Aire Street side. Would this be any indication where it was?

Posted by Eddie on 23/09/2012

I think that Germany Dock used to be where Railway Dock is now. Hamburg shed in the 1950s was on the 25 shed side of Railway Dock - the butter boats discharged bacon and butter, etc. here. Hamburg Yard was part of 25 shed railway system which was alongside the church yard in Church Street.

Posted by Bill on 04/10/2009

As a very young lad in the late-1950s, and an avid reader of the Goole Times, I could never, in my naivety, understand why so many ladies were regularly prosecuted for "trespassing on the docks". Only later I realise what people meant when they referred to "dock fairies."

Posted by Dave on 05/10/2009

Can anyone tell me the name of the biggest ship ever to dock at Goole?

I know of two that were reported at the time as being on the large size, but never a definitive answer. They were the NORBRIT VASER (excuse spelling!) and the INCE 2 (think that was a renamed ship). Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Posted by Geoff on 21/10/2009

My father was a pilot up to the mid-1970s and at that time the biggest ship was the ASK, I was on this ship as a child with my dad when docking in Goole, it only just got round the docks. I do not remember her country but it was possibly Danish.

Posted by Patricia on 19/10/2009

Does anyone know where the Graving Dock was in Goole? My relation's death record is giving this as the place he died in 1904. Thanks.

Posted by Dave on 08/03/2010

Graving Dock was identified as No. 1 Dry Dock, beside it is Victoria Lock and Ouse Lock in the middle.

Posted by Gerald on 23/10/2009

Have just been scrolling this site and seen a lot of ships names I remember. I started work in 1959 for J. Wharton (Shipping) Limited at their office in Aire Street. The GLADONIA, JACKONIA, LIZZONIA, STEVONIA and BRENDONIA were all named after Wharton family members. Later came the BURTONIA, Jack Wharton lived at Burton-on-Stather, and the TRENTONIA, named after the river of course. I recall all these ships were registered at Goole.

Later I moved across to East Parade and worked for L.V. Gunnill/Renwick Wilton and Dobson. There I was agent for a lot of ships loading coals to the south coast power stations and the Channel Islands. I remember a Capt. Flett on the SANDRINGHAM QUEEN, as being one of the better captains to deal with. Incidentally, my brother Roger, sailed out of Goole, certainly on the BLYTH and possibly on some of the other ships mentioned.

Posted by Gary on 24/10/2009

Gerald, regarding your comment about the Sandringham Queen and her master, Capt. Alec Flett, let me be the first to agree with you that he was indeed one of the better skippers. I was an AB on Sandringham for a couple of months (31 October to 22 December 1962) and would have given him at least 9 out of 10 had I been asked. Needless to say, I wasn't!

Did you perchance happen to go in the Peacock Hotel during your tenure on East Parade? If so, our paths may have crossed, as by that time I was getting my feet under the table as it were, with Sid and Rosie's youngest daughter Shirley. We will have been married 46 years come November 28th and have three sons, three daughters-in-law and seven grandkids. We are all Canadians now but still miss Goole.

Posted by Hamish on 24/10/2009

That proves that the "Goolies", like the Scots, are very good at populating other people's countries!

Posted by Gerald on 25/10/2009

You ask if I went in the Peacock during my time at East Parade. The answer is a resounding yes. I used the pub before then, starting sometime during 1960 I think, but really went in a lot when at East Parade. I would leave the office some nights and walk to the Peacock for 6pm opening. Often, if I was early or Sid was late, the keys would be thrown down to me so I could open the door and go in. Used the lounge mainly. Ship Agent you see, position to think of. I have racked my brain trying to place you, as I am sure we must have met, but cannot. I remember Enid and Wally and was the other sister Mavis?

The pub was also handy for Victoria Lock, so when I had ships arriving/sailing I could look out for them from the lounge. I am called Ged by my friends so this may, or may not, ring a bell with you. I moved back on to Aire Street to work for Limb & Co. but went in the Peacock regularly until leaving Goole in 1979 to come to work and live in Boston, Lincs.

On the shipping side some of the ships I looked after in Goole were the HAVELET and PORTELET owned by Onesimus Dorey of Guernsey. The ODRA and GLITRA, any number of F.T. Everard and Crescent Shipping vessels. As a sub agent for Cutting & Co, I looked after Russian timber ships too. One particular ship I remember was the MARCO POLO, a timber built ship from Torshavn. It took two tides to get her up to Goole in ballast as the pilot at Hull couldn't get her to swing in the Humber. Happy days.

Posted by Malcolm on 28/10/2009

Hi again, my old boss Ged. I too remember the Peacock as a watering hole for agents working down East Parade. They were Kettlewells, Oughtred & Harrison, RW & D/Gunnills and Cross as well as Stevedores of Goole. We all used to pack the Peacock out on Thursday/Friday (payday). I remember fondly Sid and Rose who took me a little under their wing when I started going into the Peacock at sixteen or seventeen in 1968-69. It was a regular haunt for us agents for a number of years.

Also your mention of Havelet and Portelet brings back memories of a particular Christmas Eve circa 1969/70 when you sent me to one of these vessels (can't remember which one) to get the Bills of Landing signed about 1600 hours. She was berthed at the Tannett Hoist in Railway Dock and had loaded coal for the Channel Isles; you called on board yourself around 1800 hours and the master, a portly, jolly Irishman with a shock of grey hair (for my sins I cannot recall his name) invited us to partake in small noggin of Christmas cheer. Many noggins later we were certainly cheerful and finally disembarked around midnight when the pilot came on board, staggering down Bridge Street on an icy night back to our respective domains. Happy memories indeed!

Posted by Gerald on 29/10/2009

It was the Havelet and the captain was McGonnell. The other captains on the Havelet and Portelet were McQuillan and McCoullogh. Capt. McQuillan was the one who would turn up at the office around 9:30 in the morning armed with bottles of pale ale for us for breakfast. I noticed you have mentioned on one of the other sites about the coalite ships we loaded for Norway. I was trying to remember the names of the Jebsen ships we had. They sometimes called in at Goole on their way back from Canada to Norway and loaded up to 4,000 tonnes but I can't remember any apart from the LEKNES.

As you say the Peacock was a watering hole for agents from East Parade and I remember getting in there with Eddy Cross from the stevedores among others. I recall that Saphir Shipping were in the office next to us, on the corner, but their entrance was not on East Parade. The Peacock was also handy for when we had ships up to Selby, again you could watch and wait in the lounge. Will try and remember more for next time.

Posted by Gary on 03/11/2009

Nice to see postings from folks who used to frequent the Peacock Hotel in the 1960s and beyond. Ged and Malc, notably. It makes me all weepy here in my private little alcove where no one can see me. Especially the wife, as I have a two/four of Old Miwaukee Ice on hand. Cheap stuff but still palatable, but I digress.

I'm led to believe that East Parade is now history, although the Peacock building still remains, albeit boarded up. The rest, Cross's, Kettlewell's, the Pool office and Union office, etc., all gone. Sad! I have fond(?) recollections of Shea and Smithy in the Pool, and "Jock" Grant and Doug Hammond in the Union office next door. That's how I first discovered the Peacock, Yadda yadda yadda!

I'm also told that the Peacock is to become a new Charlie Oldridge project. I certainly recall that Charlie's dad, Joe, used to be a regular there when Sid and Rosie had it and probably before, so keep us informed. Anyway, that's enough nostalgia for now.

Posted by Pedro on 04/11/2009

Hey up Gary, go easy on that Old Milwaukee. Charlie Oldrige's dad was Charlie Snr. Joe is his younger brother. Jock Grant Union Rep Did you mean Jock McCauly? Carry on weeping in your beer.

Posted by Gary on 05/11/2009

Hi Pedro, thanks for the correction regarding Jock McCauly, the union rep. Jock Grant was one of the river pilots who used to frequent the Peacock around the same time. You're right about Joe Oldridge Sr. also. Joe Jr. was an "iron fighter" with whom I worked on a couple of jobs when I came ashore. Notably Yarrows at Drax "A". Memory tends to get a bit blurry; could be the age thing or perhaps the Milwaukee Ice. Pshffft! Cheers.

Posted by Danny on 05/11/2009

Just stumbled across this site, due to a childhood obsession with ships! I'd just like to say how much I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and how bizarre it is how we live in such a small world! I'm a child of the 1980s so unfortunately was not lucky enough to live through this era but it still fills me with pride every time I research anything to do with the industrial heritage of Yorkshire!

Posted by Steve on 18/01/2010

In the 1970s, working for the docks board, I remember the ANGLEZARK, a dredger that used to keep the docks and dock gates free. I think she used to discharge silt out at sea. Wondering if anyone knew what happened to her? Thanks.

Posted by Shipyard Tales on 11/07/2010

I never worked at the local shipyard myself but I always remember a funny story told to me by a young welder who had just finished his apprenticeship there. He dreaded the idea of being there for the rest of his working life, you know, like lads in other parts of Yorkshire, following their dads down the pit. At tea break all the men were sitting, having their snap. A couple of old-timers who had done forty years apiece decided to test someone they considered a newcomer. Now then, how long have you been here? Asked one of them. Well, peacock-proud, he answered, "fifteen years now". To which the second man fired the killer salvo, "do you think you'll like it?"

Posted by Jimbob on 12/07/2010

I remember Pedro saying his elder brother worked in the shipyard from the age of fourteen years old. Apprentice driller until retirement at 1965. Sheez a working life drilling holes - he must see them in his dreams.

Posted by Gary on 22/07/2010

I never worked "in't yard" either but as a regular sailor into Goole (Town and Port) I knew many who did. One of my favourite stories from someone who was there, tells of what it took to cut a port hole, and there were many, in a new ship. First would come a shipwright, with his mate, who would use his superior skills to mark out and chalk where the hole should be. Next came a fitter, also with his mate, who would use his hammer and punch to verify where the hole would be. Along would come the burner, plus mate, who would then cut the actual hole, leaving a little just inside the line. After a cooling period, a caulker and his mate would clean off the slag, clearing the way for the grinder and his mate to finalise the finished hole; but not before the plater and his mate checked the dimensions for accuracy! And this was before they even got to Pedro's brother, the driller and his mate! Small wonder that the British ship building industry fell into decline!

Posted by Mugabe on 20/09/2010

I am told by a friend that there is a yacht in Goole Marina that was once requisitioned by Erwin Rommel from a Dutch person. Has anyone any information about this yacht? If possible her name and how she ended up in Goole? Thanks.

Posted by Alan on 27/09/2010

The yacht you refer to is MAYBE, a two-masted yacht. I'm pretty sure she is moored in the canal outside Goole Marina. I have quite a few pictures of her in the Yorkshire Ouse off Reedness.

Posted by Mike on 21/06/2011

Who owned Goole Docks in 1935? I am trying to find employment details of my grandfather Matthew Gofton who was the berthing master. I have an image of him dated 1935 in full uniform. Grateful for any help. Thanks.

Posted by George on 07/09/2011

The port's owner from when it was built in 1827 right through to 1948 was the Aire & Calder Navigation, in other words it was part of the canal system extending to Leeds and Wakefield.

Posted by George on 05/09/2012

My uncle, can't remember his name now, piloted a fresh water barge delivering water to the ships in the docks. He took me with him on several occasions, when I would board the ships while he was filling the tanks with fresh water. I also had another uncle who was a diver, (the old rubber suit with brass helmet and lead boot type,) apparently repairing the dock gates.

Posted by Norman on 22/04/2014

My father before, during and after WWII, worked very hard, along with many more hard working Goole dockers.

He was a coal trimmer working up to eighteen hours a day, seven days a week, this was to keep our power stations, hospitals, schools and industries working in south of England, throughout the war and after well into the 1950s. The colliers of the day had very small hatches, the coal trimmers were in the ships' hold with a shovel; when the Tom Pudding was emptied into the ships hold it was the job of the coal trimmer to level the coal out and move the coal under the decks.

How many of you merchant seamen could see how hard these men were working so you and your shipmates could pen out into the river Ouse and into the North Sea sailing for the south of England. They was very brave men not knowing what was waiting for them; they knew they had job to do and they got on with it regardless. Many of our brave sailors never returned to port RIP.

My father failed his medical to enlist, he was asked if he would volunteer to work at other UK ports - he did. I remember he said that he was sent to Leith docks to work on coal and cargo ships.

The amount of coal dust these men must have swallowed - this dust stopped in their lungs for the rest of their lives. We know how it affected our father over the years; they liked a pint or two, maybe a few more. Can you blame them - they had to clean their throats out somehow.

My dad's name was Albert Ernest Roberts. He worked most of time on the docks trimming and at the brick shed in Aire Street loading brick to railway wagons. They had a regular gang, and did not have to go pushing their books at the foreman searching for the best men to work the ship, they had been allocated.

My dad was known as Buck Wilson to his workmates; have not got a clue why - maybe because he had an allotment at the rear of Oxford Road with up to 100 rabbits.

I do hope at someone will find some interesting reading about our hard working Goole Dockers and Seamen.

Posted by Corby on 23/04/2014

Norman, I was impressed by your posting covering the plight of the coal trimmers and all involved in the movement of coal from Goole. Your father possibly worked alongside my father and cousin Jim and also all these brave men. Sometime ago I wrote a tribute to these men.

Incidentally was your father involved in livering the Koduma? The Estonian ship which, whilst exiting the locks hit the opposite bank then rolled over. Coal trimmers livered most of the cargo in huge baskets into barges. My cousin Jim was involved. He told me all involved were soaked to the skin in trying to save the cargo. The ship was blown up and I remember hearing the huge explosion

Posted by Tony on 23/04/2014

Norman, I didn't know your old man was a trimmer, when did he finish? I knew most of them in the early-1960s - do you know which gang he worked with? We used to pay half a crown each which went towards the kids' Xmas party. The trimmers moved the ship up and down under the chute. The ships were pretty much self-trimming then, they only had to go in and pull the coal under the wings when the hold was getting full. They would tell us what time it would be finished and all we had to do was come back to batten down and wash down. On the LANCING we usually went to No. 32, that's the one where the cement silos are now or No. 5 which is the preserved one near the museum. They could both knock 2,000 tons in in four and a half hours; didn`t allow much time at home, in on the morning tide back out on the night.

Posted by Corby on 23/04/2014

My dad retired in 1955 although the latter years he worked for Bennets as a checker. He trimmed coal in the days when all would go home in their muck to the tin bath. He worked with other relatives Jim and Bobby Bunting and Walter (Buster) Hattersley. Before them other relatives included William (Tash) Spenceley, Charlie Shipley, my granddad Arthur Bunting and brother Richard.

What is this thing with coal trimmers and rabbits! My dad had many plus his step-father Tash. He also got me started when we moved to Malvern Road. I had a good little business going, selling Belgian Hares and Flemish Giants for the table at 5/- each.

Posted by Norman on 23/04/2014

I had a job trying to find when dad retired. I rang three of my sisters, I must have been on the phone a couple of hours and got nowhere. We think it was roundabout 1969.

Dad's trimming gang was Leo and Jack Magivron (the spelling could be wrong). I cannot remember any of the other blokes in the gang, Leo was the Forman, I think he lived down Limetree Avenue.

We also had hares. There was always one hung in the coal house - bit strong for me. I also sold wallflower out of a wicker basket on Pasture Road, what dad had grown at the allotment. It's nice to pass on memories.

PS: my sisters would not eat the rabbits.

Posted by Corby on 04/12/2015

After surviving the Great War in 1917, my father lived a further 50 years until succumbing to bronchitis. There is no doubt the cause of this was for the years spent as a coal trimmer, like many other family members in Goole who were employed in this profession. From coal face to consumer, coal trimming was the most dangerous link. Not forgetting the transporting by sea which incurred a different hazard. My thought go out to all men who lost their life in these industries.

Posted by Harold on 18/12/2014

I have just discovered that my uncle Harold Ambler Thompson died by drowning in September 1943 in Barge Dock Goole. He was identified as a merchant seaman aged 19. I know through family discussions that he was lame in one leg and this probably contributed to his death. I would be interested in any information on his ship(s) or from anyone who might have sailed with him. Thanks

Posted by Denise on 27/12/2014

I recall the BRIGID MULLER colliding with the Dutch River Bridge in Old Goole. Captain Muller and his crew were taken from the ship and stayed at the Station Hotel where I was a chambermaid and silver service waitress. Captain Muller and his crew stayed for several days and was a true gentleman as was his crew. Anyone remember this incident in the early 1960s?

Posted by Fiona on 24/12/2015

I remember the Brigid Muller capsizing in the river. My dad was the agent and sadly when he went onto the ship to retrieve the papers he found the pilot drowned. I would have been very young at the time but I remember going to see the ship and also my dad's coat covered in mud and how shocked and upset he and all the grown-ups were.

Posted by Tony on 06/08/2015

I`ve been doing some volunteer work at the Waterways Museum for the past couple of months. We do trips round the docks and I tell the passengers what it was like back in the days when we were doing it.

We go round on a boat, one of the tugs which pulled the Tom Puddings down the canal. We start at the museum on the canal and follow the docks round to Stanhope Dock turn round at West Dock entrance and back, takes about forty minutes. You can still walk across from Lowther to Middle House, over the bridge and turn right then follow fenced footpath round edge of dock to inner gates of Ocean Lock, cross the lock then down South Street to Middle House.

Yesterday there were three ships in, one in South Dock, one in Barge Dock on the covered berth and the other was in West Dock. The ships are bigger these days 3-4 thousand tons due to different design. Goole is doing about 1,500,000 tons a year and rising at the moment, mainly bulk cargoes, steel, timber, potash and fertiliser. Not like the old days 2,500,000 tons of coal plus all the general that AHL and the other ships did.

Posted by Hamish on 12/12/2015

It's a good job there are fewer ships if they are getting bigger! I can very well remember "bending" ships like the SEAFORD or POLDEN around some of those corners in Goole docks (usually in the pouring rain) when the port was standing room only; how we did it was amazing, lots of wire gymnastics and compressor work. I liked to skive down aft with the second mate, and let the junior hands have the focsle head, and those poor boatmen running lines all over the place too. Wonderful memories.

Posted by Tony on 13/12/2015

Moving around the Docks these days is a lot easier, no boatmen, no wires and no compressors, all the ships have bow thrusters now.

Back to Table of Contents