Goole is one of the few places in the country where the public can access the docks. Carry on along Aire Street and you end up on a public footpath which meanders across through the docks, across a bridge and lock and out eventually to Bridge Street.
This is the best place to view dock activity, though watch out for reversing fork lifts.
The docks and locks within the port are as follows
- Barge Dock, 1826 - one of the original docks when the port was opened. Ocean Lock now connects this dock to the river.
- Harbour Dock (The Basin), 1826 - another of the original docks. This was filled in during the 1960s.
- Ship Dock, 1826 - another of the original docks.
- Ouse Dock, 1836 - contained Hoists No. 1 and 2. It also had a dry dock. Previously this dock was called the "Steam Boat Dock" and the "Steam Ship Dock".
- Railway Dock, 1848 - contained the Tannett Walker and Ormerod Grierson railway coal hoists and a 50-ton electric crane. This dock was built so that the A&C had more control over railway operations when the L&YR reached the town.
- Aldham Dock, 1881 - the link between Railway Dock and Ouse Dock was built in 1913 to ease overcrowding.
- Stanhope Dock, 1891 - originally called the "New Extension Dock." Contained an Armstrong Whitworth railway coal hoist and a 50-ton hydraulic crane. This crane was used for heavy loads and coaling, lifting railway coal-wagons, swinging them over a ship's hold and then tipping their contents before returning the wagon to the rails.
- South Dock, 1910 - contained Hoists No. 4 and 5. It also had a dry dock and connected to the canal. This dock was in effect a widening of the canal to the west of Barge Dock to reduce the amount of traffic affecting other shipping operations.
- West Dock, 1912 - this is now the only rail served dock.
- Ship Lock, 1826 - one of the original locks when the port was opened. This was filled in during the 1960s.
- Barge Lock, 1826 - another of the original locks. This was filled in during the 1960s.
- Ouse Lock, 1838 - built to connect the Ouse Dock to the river.
- Victoria Lock, 1888 - this lock was built to cope with the larger vessels using the port.
- Ocean Lock, 1938 - the largest lock in the docks. The lock gates were recently replaced and constructed several metres higher, to cope with anticipated rises in the sea-level.